We thought it would be fun to list a few relatively unknown cosmetic surgery facts. Below are five fun facts related to cosmetic surgery. If you know of any others, list them here!
1. Cosmetic Surgery is Over 4,000 Years Old – Might be hard to believe, but the earliest record of cosmetic surgery dates back to over 4,000 years old. Detailed records from India dating back to 2000 BC outline reconstructive procedures that were being implemented.
2. The First Breast Implants Date Back to 1895 – According to Wikipedia: “The earliest known breast implant was attempted by Vincenz Czerny, using a woman’s own adipose tissue.” 6 years later, breast implants were attempted, but produced disastrous results as Dr. Robert Gersuny from Austria tried using paraffin injections.
3. Cindy Jackson Has the Record for Most Cosmetic Surgery Procedures – Ohio born singer and writer holds the Guinness World Record for having the most cosmetic surgery procedures. She became the official record holder in 2000.
4. Liposuction is the Most Common Cosmetic Surgery Procedure – While it may vary from practice to practice, overall in the United States liposuction is the most common cosmetic surgery procedure.
5. “Plastic” in “Plastic Surgery” Derives from the Greek Word “Plastikos” – The word plastic derives from the Greek word “Plastikos” which means to mold or to shape. Plastic surgery derived from this definition of “plastikos” meaning “surgery to mold and to shape”. Plastic’s definition here has no connection with plastics in the sense of synthetic polymer material.