One of the more popular New Year’s Resolutions is shedding those extra pounds you might have added on during the holiday season. This is why regular gym-goers always have a packed gym in January and, since these resolutions tend to only last for a short period of time, have an empty gym to go to come February. It’s difficult to get back into the exercise routine especially when you haven’t done it for a long period of time. In order to help keep your New Year’s weight loss resolution, I’ve listed some tips to help get you back into shape.
– Substitute “Regular” Food Items with Low Fat: A simple way to shed some pounds is by substituting your favorite fatty foods with low fat or non-fat items. The same goes with drinks. If you drink Coke regularly, have Diet Coke (or water) instead. Read reviews online for brands that make a sufficient healthy alternative to your favorite fatty foods.
– Don’t Stray From Your Gym Schedule: Emergencies happen, but if you can help it avoid missing a day at the gym. This is how most people stop going altogether. One day turns into two, which turns into a week and before you know it you’re not going at all. Even if you’re feeling tired from the work week, find the motivation to get you there.
– Purchase an Exercise Video Game: For those of you who do not want to go a public gym, get a video game that encourages exercising. Games like Wii Fit and Dance Dance Revolution are great for weight loss and also a lot of fun. Those of you who do not enjoy exercising might find this a sufficient alternative solution.
– Ween Yourself Off of Snacks: A big contributor to weight gain is afternoon and nighttime snacking. Those extra bag of chips and cookies add up big time especially if you’re a regular snacker. If you’re used to snacking on a regular basis, it might be difficult to stop altogether so consider substituting those fatty foods with fruits and/or vegetables.
– No Milk & Sugar in Your Coffee: Another simple way to cut down on calories and carbs is by substituting your milk / cream & sugar combination you get in your coffee with skim and sweetener.