Many people struggle with obtaining or maintaining the ideal body figure. Even with healthy eating habits and a diligent exercise routine, people are likely to have problem areas on the body that seem resistant to weight loss measures. Stubborn deposits of fat can make it impossible for patients to achieve a more pleasing body contour. When inches and pounds stick around despite a patient’s best efforts, it may be time to consider liposuction.
Liposuction remains one of the most popular cosmetic procedure in the Unites States and is performed several times a week by plastic surgeon Stephen T. Greenberg. Although patients are eager to eliminate unwanted fat for good, a concern for many of Dr. Greenberg’s Manhattan patients is liposuction dimpling. Dr. Greenberg helps patients understand what leads to skin dimpling after liposuction so that it can be prevented.
Patients at Risk for Skin Dimpling
Dr. Greenberg is a surgeon with vast experience in body contouring procedures such as liposuction. This experience along with the advanced liposuction techniques that he employs at his practice make it highly unlikely that patients will experience any complications following treatment. However, one possible side effect following liposuction is skin dimpling. Skin dimpling is a rare complication that may arise in the following situations:
- The patient experiences weight fluctuations: Both gaining and losing a significant amount of weight following liposuction can make the skin appear uneven and dimpled. It is important for liposuction patients to maintain a stable weight following treatment.
- The patient has too much fat removed: Liposuction is not a weight loss solution and is best suited for small areas of stubborn fat. The removal of too much fat is likely to result in a dimpling appearance. Dr. Greenberg ensures that his patients have realistic expectations for how much fat can be removed via the liposuction procedure.
- Fat removal is uneven: The uneven removal of fat is the result of an unskilled surgeon. With his expertise, Dr. Greenberg removes fat evenly from the treatment area, which produces a smooth appearance and helps the tissue heal evenly as well.
- The patient has poor skin elasticity: Liposuction is more likely to produce smooth contouring in patients who still have good skin elasticity. Patients who lack good skin elasticity may benefit from the addition of skin tightening treatment along with liposuction.
- The patient has cellulite: If a patient already has cellulite prior to liposuction treatment, it is more likely that there will be skin irregularities after the liposuction procedure.
Preventing Skin Dimpling
Dr. Greenberg combines a number of liposuction techniques in order to ensure that patients achieve a smooth and even body contour following liposuction treatment. In order to promote even healing and avoid skin dimpling after liposuction, patients can take the following precautions:
- Stay hydrated: Patients who are not well hydrated are likely to experience water retention. This can make the skin appear puffy, uneven, and dimpled. It is especially important to remain hydrated throughout the healing process.
- Massage the skin: Massaging the skin gently will promote blood circulation and can help ensure that the skin and tissue heals evenly.
- Maintain stable weight: Following liposuction, patients should maintain a healthy lifestyle that will keep weight stable.
Schedule a Consultation
Liposuction has helped many of Dr. Greenberg’s patients eliminate stubborn fat deposits to achieve a more slender and toned body contour. If you are interested in learning more about the liposuction techniques that Dr. Greenberg has to offer, schedule a consultation at your earliest convenience. We look forward to meeting you!