Overly large breasts in our society come with a lot of baggage, both good and bad. But extremely large breasts may also be a health issue.
Overly large breasts are linked to a number of physical problems, including neck pain, back pain, and numbness in the fingers, to name just a few.
If you have complications from overly large breasts and are seeking advice, Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg is a nationally renowned plastic surgeon with offices in Long Island and Manhattan who understands the problems associated with large breasts. He is an expert in the field of cosmetic plastic surgery and can explain the options you have, including breast reduction surgery, in overcoming problems with overly large breasts.
Breast reduction surgery is highly effective in treating the problems associated with overly large breasts simply because it deals with the root cause. Other treatments have limited effectiveness since they tackle only the symptoms of large breasts. If you have pain caused by overly large breasts, you can get pain medication. If your breasts cause a rash, you can get an ointment. But none of these steps eliminate the source of the problems, so they are bound to reoccur.
Overly large breasts can cause numerous physical problems due to the weight of the breasts and their size. Problems include:
- Pain. The weight of large breasts can cause pain in the neck, shoulder, and back. In addition, the breasts themselves may be painful simply because of the excess weight.
- Rashes. Large breasts trap heat and moisture underneath them, causing chronic rashes or skin infections.
- Shoulder Grooves. Bras may not fully support the breasts and lead to deep groves in the shoulder where bra straps are located. Bras with wider straps can help somewhat, but may not eliminate the grooves.
- Numbness. Some women report numbness in their breasts from the excess weight. Others report numbness in the fingers, hands, and arms, which happens when the weight of the breasts and poor posture compress nerve pathways.
- Inability to Exercise. Large breasts make it difficult for women to exercise, perform daily chores, or even pick up their children. The lack of physical activity can have long range consequences on their health.
- Shortness of Breath. The excess weight on the chest can lead to shortness of breath.
- Headaches. Large breasts have also been linked to migraine headaches.
On one hand, many symptoms of overly large breasts can be “managed.” For example, if you are in pain, you can employ heat packs, massage, physical therapy, and medication to reduce your discomfort. However, these treatments do nothing to treat the source of the pain so the symptoms are likely to return.
Breast reduction surgery, however, deals with the root cause. Surgery allows you to reduce the size of your breasts to eliminate the weight and size issues that cause your chronic problems, such as pain, infections, or shortness of breath.
Get More Information
If you would like detailed information about breast reduction surgery, please call our offices for an appointment. Dr. Greenberg is well-known for his expertise in cosmetic surgery and can discuss options that are appropriate for you.