ABOUT Full Body Lift
Achieve a Sleek and Toned Contour with a Full Body Lift
As gastric bypass and bariatric surgeries grow in popularity, so has the full body lift. Coupled with regular exercise and a healthy lifestyle, a full body lift offers dramatic, lifelong results. Dr. Greenberg has years of experience performing this extensive and very specialized cosmetic surgery and can help you achieve the sleek and toned body you have always wanted.
Transform Your Contours Through a Body Lift Procedure
Following massive weight loss, either through bariatric surgery or through diet and exercise, patients are often left with loose, saggy skin. To tighten the skin and improve the contours of your body, Dr. Greenberg offers body lift procedures. He can commonly combine an abdominoplasty with other procedures such as thigh lifts, arm lifts, breast lifts, and facelifts.
What Is A Full Body Lift?
Extreme weight loss, pregnancies, or the natural aging process can cause excess, sagging skin and fatty tissue on the lower torso and upper legs. This occurs because the skin has been stretched and loosened, permanently affecting the skin’s elasticity. A full body lift—also known as a belt lipectomy—can remove this extra skin and fat from the belly, hips, buttocks, back, and outer thigh. During a full body lift, excess skin and fat are removed and the contours of the body are lifted and flattened, allowing patients to restore their confidence and self-esteem.
Your Body Lift Consultation
Your initial consultation with Dr. Greenberg is a vital introductory step as you begin the full body lift process. Because body lift surgery is unique to every patient, Dr. Greenberg is able to customize the surgery to meet your specific cosmetic goals. During your time together, Dr. Greenberg will perform a thorough physical examination and discuss your full body lift options. At this consultation, Dr. Greenberg will also review your medical history to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Generally, full body lift candidates are those who have lost a significant amount of weight—usually 60 pounds or more—and who are looking to achieve a smoother, more toned silhouette. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if you:
- Have droopy or excess skin and tissue around your midsection
- Are at a healthy, stable weight
- Are in good overall health and committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Are not planning on becoming pregnant in the future
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol in excess
- Have realistic expectations
Once your candidacy has been determined, Dr. Greenberg will address all of your questions and review the surgical techniques and anesthesia options to make sure you are completely comfortable with the full body lift procedure. In order to better understand your desired results, he can show you before-and-after photos and give his honest and professional opinion on how a body lift can improve your body contour. Dr. Greenberg will also discuss additional surgical procedures, such as a breast augmentation and butt lift, that can be performed in conjunction with your body lift to help you achieve your goals.
Dr. Greenberg or a member of his team will take a photograph of your body to keep on file as your “before” photo, allowing you to see your dramatic transformation once you have completely recovered from surgery. Dr. Greenberg can also introduce you to your team of dedicated specialists who will make your cosmetic surgery experience a comfortable and positive experience. Before leaving, you will receive information about the cost of the procedure and potential financing options to help you plan your procedure.
Your Body Lift Surgery
The body lift surgery consists of vertical tightening of the skin. Vertical tightening requires a thin incision around the entire waist. The skin is then pulled up or down and the excess tissue is removed from the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, and back. A body lift may also include an upper arm lift, inner thigh lift, breast lift, facelift, liposuction and other procedures. Depending on the complexity of your procedure, body lift surgery could take approximately seven hours to complete.
Body Lift Recovery and Results
After the procedure is completed, Dr. Greenberg will apply bandages, compression garments, and incisional drains to help reduce pressure and prevent swelling. You will then be moved to one of our comfortable private recovery rooms where Dr. Greenberg will monitor your response to surgery for two to three days before sending you home. It is not uncommon to feel groggy, stiff, slightly bruised, and swollen for the first 24 to 48 hours, but medication can be prescribed to keep you comfortable.
Once you have been cleared to go home, you will need to have a loved one available to drive and stay with you for the first few days, as they can be the most difficult. If you have young children, we also recommend having someone available to help for the first six weeks until you are cleared to return to full activity. Below is a timeline of what to expect during your recovery:
- Week 1: To help with discomfort and swelling, you will be encouraged to get as much rest as possible, while also taking short walks. The first three to four days are the most uncomfortable, but taking your medication as prescribed and following your detailed post-surgical instructions can help reduce your risk for complications and infection. It is imperative that you keep the surgical sites dry, so sponge bathing is all that is allowed during this time until you have been cleared to take a shower.
- Week 2: Approximately seven to 10 days after surgery, Dr. Greenberg will remove the surgical drains and change out your bandages to ensure you are healing appropriately. Depending on your response to surgery, sutures may also be removed during this time. With the assistance of a family member, you can take a shower.
- Weeks 3-4: Unless you have a physically demanding job, patients are typically released to return to work.
- Weeks 5-6: Most patients can be released to full activity during this time. As swelling subsides, you will begin to notice and enjoy your newly reshaped body. Wearing your compression garments as prescribed can help you heal faster and enjoy your results sooner.
Your results will continue to improve for the first two years after surgery, so it is important to be patient with your body as it recovers. As long as you maintain a healthy, stable weight, you should be able to enjoy lasting results.
Coupled with regular exercise and a healthy lifestyle, a full body lift offers dramatic, lifelong results.