ABOUT Post-bariatric Surgery Procedures
Refine Your Figure Following Weight Loss
Post-bariatric Surgery Procedures Long Island
Stephen T. Greenberg, M.D., F.A.C.S performs post-bariatric surgical procedures at his offices serving Long Island, Manhattan and the greater New York City area.
Bariatric surgery is a weight loss surgery that can leave your skin loose and hanging. Over the past few years, Dr. Greenberg has performed countless post-bariatric surgical procedures that have helped many individuals re-contour their body following a massive weight loss of 100 pounds or more! Patients who have had bariatric surgery, lapband surgery, or have experienced massive weight loss without surgery have achieved a significant accomplishment. Yet, they are often faced with a lot of very loose, hanging skin that can be extremely unattractive. There are many cosmetic surgeries available to help contour your physique after lapband or bariatric surgery and ensure you achieve the body you’ve earned! Complement your achievement with post-bariatric surgical procedures, offered through our Long Island practice.
Weight loss and bariatric surgery patients should be aware that body contouring may require surgeons to address the entire body circumferentially and not just one or two specific areas, as is the case with body contouring in more normal weight patients. For someone who loses 100 pounds or more in a short time, particularly after lapband or bariatric surgery, the patient often has sagging skin in a number of areas including the face and neck, breasts, arms, abdomen, back and thighs. The skin and tissue from a bariatric surgery patient differs from other patients because the elastic tissues are usually permanently damaged from being stretched to an extreme degree. After weight loss or bariatric surgery, the patient’s skin may still loosen and sag much faster with age. With body contouring, we can improve the shape of the skin, but we cannot improve the quality of the skin. Patients seeking body contouring after massive weight loss must be realistic in their expectations. The tissues will give over time, but not to the same degree as before.
Plastic surgery procedures should be considered only after your weight has stabilized after a lapband or bariatric surgery or other weight loss procedure. This is usually 18 months or more, depending on an individual’s pre-operative weight. Performing a skin tightening procedure prior to weight stabilization may result in the need for further skin tightening in the future.
A variety of surgical procedures are often necessary and performed at different times. Depending on which area bothers you the most, the post-bariatric surgery is tailored to fit your needs, starting with the greatest area of concern.
Post-bariatric Surgery Procedures
Popular Cosmetic Procedures After Bariatric Surgery
- Full Body Lift – A full body lift is the most common post-weight loss cosmetic surgery. A full body lift removes extra skin and fat from the belly, hips, buttocks, back and outer thighs. A full body lift offers dramatic, lifelong results.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a cosmetic surgery that removes excess skin and fat from your abdomen and tightens the muscles of your abdominal wall. The results of a tummy tuck are almost immediate, and you will notice your tighter, firmer stomach as soon as you leave the operating room.
- Upper Arm Lift – An upper arm lift, also called brachioplasty, is a cosmetic surgery often performed after bariatric surgery that removes extra skin and fat from the arm, dramatically reducing flabbiness. The result of an upper arm lift is a firm, more youthful contour that is more in proportion with the rest of the body.
- Thigh Lift – A thigh lift removes excess skin and fat from the thighs through incisions or liposuction. A thigh lift improves the contour of your legs and helps you have tighter, more attractive thighs and buttocks.
- Face lift – A facelift removes excess skin not only around your face, but your neck as well. After bariatric surgery, the skin around your face (cheeks, eyes, and neck) is extremely loose. A facelift will tighten the loose skin and help you look up to a decade younger.
- Breast Augmentation – Breast augmentation is a surgery that will enhance the appearance of the breasts. Whether it be to regain mass lost after lapband or bariatric surgery or other massive weight loss procedure, or to tighten the loose skin around the region, breast augmentation will improve the look and feel of your breasts.
- Breast Reduction – Breast reduction is often an option after lapband or bariatric surgery to prevent back problems. Not only can breast reduction help get rid of pain, but it can also help your overall appearance. After extreme weight loss surgery, a breast reduction can help to keep your body in proportion.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes excess fat from your body. While lapband or bariatric surgery can cause extreme weight loss, there are often fat deposits left between the muscle and skin throughout your body. Liposuction removes that excess fat so you look your absolute best.
- Male Breast Reduction (gynecomastia) – Male breast reduction is a procedure that men often opt for after lapband or bariatric surgery. This simple procedure reduces large mammary glands in males and tightens up any loose skin.
To learn more about the many benefits of post-bariatric surgery procedures, contact our Long Island practice today.