Breast augmentation scars can be minimized and virtually undetectable if you choose the right surgeon and take excellent care of your skin. Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg is a leading plastic surgeon in Long Island, NY, whose refined techniques result in minimal or no visible scars. In order to help you maintain beautiful results, he can instruct you in caring for breast augmentation scars immediately after surgery and in the years that follow. If you are considering breast augmentation, we invite you to learn more about what you can do to make certain that you experience the best possible results.
The first step to minimizing your scars is choosing a qualified and experienced surgeon. A plastic surgeon with vast experience and a track record of patient satisfaction is more likely to use techniques that result in minimal scarring, and can provide effective postoperative instructions. Dr. Greenberg will conduct a private consultation at our state-of-the-art facility, taking the time to discuss where your incisions will be located and how to properly care for them.
The location of your incisions will depend on a variety of factors, including the technique used, the type of breast implant chosen, and the size of the implant. Dr. Greenberg will strategically place the incisions in a location subjected to minimal strain. When incisions are strained, it not only delays healing, but can cause conspicuous scarring.
In the weeks leading up to your surgery, Dr. Greenberg will instruct you:
- To avoid certain medications and herbal supplements that could compromise your recovery.
- Not to smoke or use tobacco products. If you are a smoker, you will be advised to cease the habit for a period before surgery, and it is in your best interest to remain a nonsmoker.
- To use ample sun protection.
Dr. Greenberg will strategically place the incisions in a location subjected to minimal strain.
After surgery, Dr. Greenberg will close the incisions with sutures. If you notice increased swelling, pain, and redness around your incisions, followed by a fever, it is imperative that you call Dr. Greenberg immediately.
Once sutures are removed, you can begin using scar prevention techniques, which will include:
- Changing bandages and cleaning the incisions as directed.
- Avoiding sun exposure by using at least 30 SPF sunscreen and taking care to cover scars with clothing.
- Not wearing underwire bras, as this could disrupt your implants and incisions.
- Not sleeping on your stomach for at least three weeks.
- Having plenty of rest.
- Avoiding physical activity that could strain the incisions.
You can help your scars to remain discreet long after surgery by taking many simple measures that benefit your skin in your day-to-day life. This includes eating a diet rich in antioxidants and beta-carotene, abstaining from smoking, enjoying alcohol in moderation, and always using sun protection outdoors.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about breast augmentation and how to care for your incisions, contact our office online or call us at (516) 364-4200 and schedule your consultation. With Dr. Greenberg’s experience and guidance, you can expect to achieve bust enhancement with minimal scarring.