Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg will explain and discuss what you can expect from your breast implant recovery performed at our Long Island, Manhattan, Woodbury, Hamptons, and Boca Raton, FL facilities. He will also help guide you through each step of your recovery to ensure that you achieve successful results and a comfortable experience. During your initial consultation with Dr. Greenberg, he will spend time discussing all the breast augmentation options available in order to customize your treatment to fit your personal needs. A masterful surgeon, Dr. Greenberg is well known for his expertise in the field of cosmetic surgery and prides himself on providing his patients with natural-looking results and the care they deserve.
What to Expect During Your Breast Implant Recovery
Breast implant surgery is a safe and effective surgical cosmetic procedure that can boost your confidence and dramatically enhance your figure. We know the decision to undergo any type of cosmetic procedure is a personal one and should not be taken lightly. Dr. Greenberg will personally meet with you to outline your entire procedure and the steps to follow for a successful recovery.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Greenberg, he will spend time discussing all the options available to you in breast augmentation in order to customize your treatment to fit your personal needs.
After surgery, Dr. Greenberg will examine the surgical site and carefully place your compression garment. This garment will allow for a quicker recovery time by minimizing pain, bruising, and inflammation. Once released from our office, you will need someone to drive you home and stay with you for the first 48 hours. Your breasts may feel sore and swollen the first few days after surgery. You can expect a full recovery if you follow your post-operative care instructions carefully. You should also be sure to:
- Get enough rest and avoid any activities that could strain the pectoral muscles or surgical site
- Attend all post-operative appointments
- Take pain medication as prescribed to minimize discomfort
- Apply ice packs to your breasts in 15-minute intervals to reduce swelling
- Wear your compression garment as directed
- Limit sodium intake to minimize swelling
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Walk daily to prevent blood clots
- Avoid showering for two to three days, or until cleared by the doctor
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for at least two weeks after surgery
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing around breasts
- Avoid driving until cleared by the doctor
Breast Implant Recovery Timeline and Results
While each patient is different, breast implant recovery typically takes about six months. Below is a brief timeline of what you can expect.
- Week 1: Follow your post-op instructions to reduce inflammation and bruising. Return for your first follow-up appointment so Dr. Greenberg can monitor your progress and remove any sutures and drains. In most cases, patients can return to work by the end of the first week.
- Weeks 2-3: Continue to ice and take your medication. However, you may discontinue wearing your compression garment. You should only experience mild soreness and swelling at this point. You can expect to begin gentle daily activities such as walking; however, you should continue avoiding strenuous activity.
- Weeks 4-6: You should no longer experience any swelling at this point, and you will begin to notice your results becoming more apparent. If your recovery is progressing, Dr. Greenberg will allow you to return to more physically demanding activities.
- Months 3-4: As your breast implants have settled, you will see a noticeable difference in their shape and size, revealing natural-looking results. At this point, your scars will also begin to fade.
- Months 6-12: You should be completely healed and enjoying your final results. It is important that you continue to see Dr. Greenberg for your follow-up appointments, as well as undergo regular exams and mammograms to monitor the health of your breasts.
We would be glad to answer additional questions you may have about breast implant recovery. Contact our office today to schedule your breast implant consultation with Dr. Greenberg and the team at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery.