What to Expect During Your Rhinoplasty Recovery
Rhinoplasty recovery times and experiences will differ for each patient at our Manhattan, NYC, facility. Due to the highly skilled techniques and expertise of Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg, patients can usually return to normal activities in about a week. Your recovery time will depend on the type of rhinoplasty procedure you have, and whether you pair it with another cosmetic procedure, such as chin surgery. During your initial consultation, Dr. Greenberg will review your overall cosmetic goals with you to individualize your procedure, as well as provide the necessary tools for a successful recovery.
What to Expect After Your Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is one of the more popular cosmetic procedures performed by Dr. Greenberg. In order to achieve a successful rhinoplasty with results you are happy with, it is important to carefully follow your at-home recovery instructions.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Greenberg will review your overall cosmetic goals with you to individualize your procedure, as well as provide the necessary tools for a successful recovery.
Due to the anesthesia used during your procedure, you will need someone to drive you to and from your surgery. We also recommend having someone stay with you the first couple of nights. For the first few weeks of recovery, it is vital you carefully monitor your daily activity and get plenty of rest, as well as:
- Diligently take your medication as prescribed
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping for the first few weeks
- Brush your teeth gently, especially near your upper lip
- Regularly ice and change out bandages to avoid swelling and infection
- Take baths rather than showers to keep sutures and bandages dry
- Eat soft foods and limit sodium intake to minimize swelling
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher for six months
To speed up your healing and recovery, it is also important that you:
- Avoid blowing your nose for two weeks
- Avoid bumping or squeezing your nose for several months
- Avoid clothing that goes over your head
- Avoid exercise until released by your doctor
- Avoid wearing glasses and sunglasses for one month
- Avoid smoking for at least two weeks before and after surgery
- Avoid flying for 10 to 14 days
Your Recovery and Results
Each rhinoplasty performed by Dr. Greenberg is unique to the individual patient. However, below is an estimated timeline of what to expect during your rhinoplasty recovery.
- Days 1-2: Ice for the first 24 hours and take medication as directed. You can expect mild discomfort and some swelling and bruising around your nose and eyes. To avoid infection, change bandages as directed.
- Days 3-4: You can expect an increase in bruising and swelling around the eyes and nose.
- Days 5-7: Dr. Greenberg will remove sutures and nasal packing during your first follow-up appointment. Although it is possible to see a visible difference in the shape of your nose, you will still have some bruising and swelling.
- Days 8-21: You will notice an improvement in your breathing, as well as a major decrease in bruising and swelling. Depending on how you are healing, Dr. Greenberg may release you to full activity.
- Months 1-3: You should expect additional follow-up appointments over the next few months after surgery as your nose continues to heal and settle into its shape.
- Year 1: Fully healed and enjoying your final results. Due to the uniqueness of rhinoplasty, it is important to be patient during recovery. It could take up to a year before your nose completely takes shape.
If at any point during your recovery you notice an increase in pain, elevated temperature, or an unusual amount of bleeding, please call our office right away. As with any cosmetic surgery, there is a possibility of scarring. With rhinoplasty, all incisions are made on the inside of your nostrils in order to minimize scarring.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Greenberg can explain rhinoplasty recovery in more detail and answer any questions you have with a personal consultation. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment.